Disaster Management Volunteer Organisation
Our Volunteer force will be organised as follows:
Command Centre based at the St Francis Bay Fire Station
The Command Centre will liaise directly with Government services i.e. the Fire Brigade, Police, Hospital/Ambulances, Helicopter and Fixed Wing services, etc.
The following people have been identified as potential Command Centre volunteers :
- B Meikles – on an advisory basis only.
- N Aitken
- L Clause
- G Brooker
- S Tessendorf
- W Furphy
- J Elliott
The Command Centre will be based at the Fire Station with air response at the Air Park.
- The field in front of the Fire Station will be made available for helicopters landing.
- Equipment to be stored in the lockable, alarmed storeroom at the Fires Station.
Rapid Response Teams (RRT)teams need to be formed consisting of volunteers organised:
- NSRI – based at Port St Francis – P Hurley
- St Francis Bay – B Bosch.
- The Links – K Burger
- Cape St Francis/Air Park – S Tessendorf/John Elliott
- Sea Vista (Sea Cadets/Alumni) – O Holmes
- Eskom – ?
Support Teams consisting of volunteers providing the following services to the Rapid Response Teams and Government Services Teams
- Administration – On-going
- Source equipment needed
- Issue equipment, making a note as to who it has been issued to.
- Establish how to retrieve equipment when wrapping up.
- Logistics – H White (food/sustenance/mattresses etc.)?/L Payne?/K Jooste?
- Equipment Servicing and Repair team e.g. vehicles, earth moving equipment, pumps, etc.
- The Links workshop would be the emergency equipment service centre.
- Obtain names and contact details of companies in J Bay and Humansdorp for spares and tools.
- Stock/stores/equipment management team (procuring, issuing, storing) – storage based at The Links
- This would be at the Fire Station where there is full cooking facility.
- A new fridge is needed.
- Need to obtain a gas cooker.
- This will be at the Fire Station.
- Wrap-up Team
- Each area/team will be responsible in wrapping-up their area.
- Communications: – NSRI/Retired Pilots (B Barry/R Liebenberg/E Bassoon possibly)
- Media – C Watt
- Communication Needs:-
- Radio network
- Cell phones
- Ground to Air
- The base station at the Fire Station is connected to the Humansdorp Control Room.
- Refuelling should be done at the Air Park.
- N Hulett to donate a battery operated air band radio.
- Radio Operators
- The Port (Ski Boat Club)
- Media – C Watt
- Medical – Dr J Malan/ H Kilfoil (trauma nurse and first aid trainer)/L Niven (and carers)/Chemist. To be based at Dr J Malan’s surgery.
- Traffic and Crowd control – L Clause/?
- Evacuation team – ?/Triggered by the Kouga Municipality
- Evacuation points
- The Links
- St Francis Bay Golf Club
- New primary school when completed.
- Gods Acre
- Air-Ground co-ordination directing ground forces and directing the air capabilities (spotter planes) – ?